“I therefore designate this Icon of the Theotokos at St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church as ‘The Miraculous Lady of Cicero, Illinois,’ and encourage our faithful everywhere to seek her intercessions“
+ Metropolitan PHILIP +, Primate Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
The history of St. George has been full of miracles: From overcoming obstacles in its early days, to recovering from a tragic fire. But on April 22nd of 1994, the parishioners of St. George witnessed God’s glory as He restored and strengthened our faith: The Icon of the Theotokos on the church’s iconostasis began to shed tears. His Eminence Metropolitan PHILIP formally declared the weeping icon a miracle and named it “The Miraculous Icon of Our Lady of Cicero.” In the summer of that same ‘miraculous’ year of 1994, St. George also hosted the Midwest Region Parish Life Conference over which Bishop BASIL (Essey) presided.
Enjoy this Commemorative Video of the “Miraculous Lady of Cicero, IL.” which celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Our Lady of Cicero. The video highlights the Visit of Metropolitan PHILIP of Thrice Blessed Memory and his declaration of the Miracle which he named “The Miraculous Lady of Cicero,IL.” It also highlights news coverage at the time, and the many people who were touched by Her.
Our Lady in the News
- Visions of Jesus Christ Article
- Commemorative 20th Anniversary Video of “The Miraculous Lady of Cicero, IL”
- Read story titled “Street named in Honor of Tearing Icon of Virgin Mary”
- Chicago Tribune’s article “Icon Is Still Crying For Our Attention” – May 14, 1994
- Interview with Fr. Dahdal, April 2017 – “The Miraculous Icon of Our Lady of Cicero“