Application DUE September 11, 2022
The Saint George Cicero Chapter of The Order of Saint Ignatius joyfully presents the Father Athanasios Emmert Scholarship Award of Excellence! This scholarship is meant to recognize one young person who embodies the spirit of excellence through their faith involvement, community service, and academic achievements!
The Order of Saint Ignatius of Antioch (The Order) is an organization of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Archdiocese of North America (Antiochian Archdiocese), with the objective of financially supporting the
departments, programs and charitable works of the Antiochian Archdiocese, Patriarchate of Antioch and
the Orthodox Christian faith. The Order assists the Antiochian Archdiocese in its continued effort to reach
out to all in need and bring to them the message of the Gospel. Saint George Church in Cicero, Illinois,
currently has an active chapter of The Order.
This award is named after Father Athanasios Emmert, the former pastor of Saint George Church, who served from 1975 to 1985. Please see the attached brief biography of Father Emmert.
The scholarship applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Freshman enrolled in a college or university during the fall 2022
- Member in good standing of the Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Church-Cicero, IL
- Demonstrates strong excellence in faith and in Church life
- Demonstrates strong excellence in community service
- Demonstrates strong excellence of academic achievements
- Must be able to attend the 59th Anniversary Legacy Ball on October 15, 2022
Please submit the following to The Order by Sunday, September 11, 2022:
- Attached application form and responses to questions below
- Copy of college acceptance letter
As a reminder, this is not a scholarship for financial need. If you need financial assistant for your education, please reach out to The Order at TheOrder@StGeorgeChi.org and inquire about educational grants.
Father Athanasios Emmert
Scholarship Award Application
“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven”(Matthew 5:14-16).